As fun as it used to be to tear off the wrappers and hold the donor’s hug, now was the time to figure out what to do with the air fryer you got for Christmas.
More than you think. Deep pans on the counter are long gone and “oven fried” chicken wrapped in crushed cornflakes has lost its appeal.
Not exactly instant gratification, air fryers need to be preheated. Recipes require little or no oil at all. Less oil, less fat, fewer calories and better odds for New Year’s resolutions.
Preheating also provides enough time to add great flavor.
Why bake baked goods or bread when chicken nuggets are just as good as grilled without going out on a cold day.
Naked Chicken Strips
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into inch thick slices
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon crushed oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1. Mix the dry ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken strips and stir until covered.
2. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Grease skillet basket with non-stick spray.
3. Place the chicken strips in a single layer in the basket. Air fry for 13 minutes, flipping once. Makes 4 servings.
4 medium sweet potatoes, washed and sliced
Half a cup of olive oil
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees and 20 minutes. Combine garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and cheese in a small bowl.
2. Put the sliced potatoes in a large bowl. Add olive oil and stir until covered. Sprinkle the dry ingredients over the potatoes and toss to coat.
3. Place the potato wedges in the basket of the air fryer in a single layer. Air fry for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for another 10 minutes. Makes 4 servings
Air fried squash
2 zucchini or yellow zucchini washed, trimmed, trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the air fryer to 450 degrees. Cut squash or zucchini into inch slices; Put it in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine cornmeal, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
2. Pour the oil over the squash, tossing it to coat. Add the dry ingredients and stir to cover.
3. Place the squash in a single layer in the skillet basket. Cook 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown, and serve 4 servings.
Air Fried Oreos
1 large egg
Half a cup of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup of bread mixture
1. Prepare baking paper to fit the basket of the air fryer and spray lightly with non-stick spray. Heat the air fryer at 350 degrees.
2. Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar, and baking mix together until the mixture is smooth and thick enough to coat the biscuits. Let the excess mixture drip off.
3. Arrange the dipped biscuits on a prepared baking sheet without touching them.
4. Air fry for 7 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
This article originally appeared on Wichita Falls Times Record News: Air fryer helps with New Year’s resolutions for healthier eating